Help again. Powder scale ?
Spent part of the afternoon playing with salt. The digital scale (A) I bought on Amazon vs Lee Safety powder scale. (B) from my Lee kit. After about 45min the scale B was repeating itself THEN it wasn't  I tried to go for 28.4gr which was my lowest Hornady load  scale A showed 29.2 for a while then went to 29.5.
The scale B showed 28.5 or 28.6 . I had a hard time reading the .1gr lines.

I weighted on the Lee B first then transferred salt to scale A tapping the pan under bright light to ensure no salt left behind. 

So what scale do you guys recommend . The balance beam is repeatable but I'm lost on reading the .1 gr lines so I can load the same each time but may be off .1 or .2 from real weight . I would prefer an electronic scale 

Throw some names out there 

What do you guys think of the M2 Hornady scale ?

Thanks
Might find this thread over on accurate shooter to offer the insight you are looking for.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/thread...e.4005609/
Get an electronic one, with ability to do down to 0.1 gr. I use the rcbs one that combines with the chargemaster. Getting the $100 ones down to 0.02 grs. is far too picky for us normal, but accuracy loving shooters. Realistically a 0.1 will deviate from basically +0.05 to -0.05 of your setting. If the throw is off by 0.1 or more, just throw it back and do over.
There are some stand alone ones.
Really whether AC or battery, doesn't matter just as long as it's not the cheapy- $10 one from Chinkland.
Trust me, at our age we don't need the aggravation of reading down to those dinky, blurry manual scale lines!

I went with the combo so the dispenser and scales could talk to each other. then throw, wait, visual check, and dump into case. Rinse repeat, lol.
(05-31-2023, 10:04 PM)grayfox Wrote: Get an electronic one, with ability to do down to 0.1 gr.  I use the rcbs one that combines with the chargemaster.  Getting the $100 ones down to 0.02 grs. is far too picky for us normal, but accuracy loving shooters.  Realistically a 0.1 will deviate from basically +0.05 to -0.05 of your setting.  If the throw is off by 0.1 or more, just throw it back and do over.
There are some stand alone ones.
Really whether AC or battery, doesn't matter just as long as it's not the cheapy- $10 one from Chinkland.
Trust me, at our age we don't need the aggravation of reading down to those dinky, blurry manual scale lines!

I went with the combo so the dispenser and scales could talk to each other.  then throw, wait, visual check, and dump into case.  Rinse repeat, lol.
How about a RCBS rangemaster  2000 scale ?
Make sure there's no air drafts in your reloading room. Drafts will play hell with repeatable powder weights. Fluorescent light can throw off some electronic scales as well. Even though I haven't had much problems with them, I'm in the process of changing my fluorescent lamps to LED lamps.

Another thing you can do to reduce interference is to wrap your scale's power cord around a ferrite device (sometimes called a choke) to lessen any interference from your 110V 60Hz power source or any other electronics that might cause interference. Wrap the power cord once around the choke & snap it closed. Another ferrite device is a torroidal core ... looks like a donut. With it you can wrap the cable through it several times.

The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
(05-31-2023, 11:01 PM)Old Bob Wrote: Make sure there's no air drafts in your reloading room. Drafts will play hell with repeatable powder weights. Fluorescent light can throw off some electronic scales as well. Even though I haven't had much problems with them, I'm in the process of changing my fluorescent lamps to LED lamps.

Another thing you can do to reduce interference is to wrap your scale's power cord around a ferrite device (sometimes called a choke) to lessen any interference from your 110V 60Hz power source or any other electronics that might cause interference. Wrap the power cord once around the choke & snap it closed. Another ferrite device is a torroidal core ... looks like a donut. With it you can wrap the cable through it several times.

That Site CZ sent me to said Get a Mentor

I have a whole Forum of them

Thanks Guys
Allowing 30 min warmup, avoiding drafts and using in an AC environment, yes.

AND using a consistent procedure, each time, every time...

After, what, 20 years of using an rcbs, I have never seen any electronic drift or interference, and this from an ex-electronics tech (Nav). That is, unless your lighting gives off excessive buzz or crackling noises (mine doesn't), or live in downtown Chicago where the ele is pretty nasty with voltage spikes and such... I'm plugged in to 120 vac, live in a small town, but hey, if the battery style works for you then go for it.
I'm a pretty heavy reloader these days in retirement. I do do the soda straw mod and have tweaked the A, B, and C constants, so it runs very smoothly. Anything over by 0.1, I toss back and re-weigh.
(06-01-2023, 04:52 AM)grayfox Wrote: Allowing 30 min warmup, avoiding drafts and using in an AC environment, yes.

AND using a consistent procedure, each time, every time...

After, what, 20 years of using an rcbs, I have never seen any electronic drift or interference, and this from an ex-electronics tech (Nav).  That is, unless your lighting gives off excessive buzz or crackling noises (mine doesn't), or live in downtown Chicago where the ele is pretty nasty with voltage spikes and such...  I'm plugged in to 120 vac, live in a small town, but hey, if the battery style works for you then go for it.
I'm a pretty heavy reloader these days in retirement.  I do do the soda straw mod and have tweaked the A, B, and C constants, so it runs very smoothly.  Anything over by 0.1, I toss back and re-weigh.
Now you went and spoiled it NAVY !!!!! Big Grin 
It's been 50 years but I still remember Flight control systems repair (electronic ) ARMY  Blush Most time on CH-47s

If I can get the powder to weight the same on repeated weighting of the same powder I'll call it good so I'll see about an upgraded beam with Large numbers or a Name Brand scale I can get to work

If it's AC does it hurt to leave it on full time or turn on in morning and off at night ?

Again thanks to all
I don't know that it necessarily hurts it to leave it on. but I turn off after I'm done, the 30 min warmup, there's always something else to do to occupy that time. Electronics like that I don't like to leave on, it sort of sets it up for any power surge that could come along, thunderstorm, things like that. You're going to want to do a wt test on powerup every time anyway, this way you also get to watch it power up and do its own self-test...
1. I always cut a box to put my scale under to keep the draft off. Electronic or mechanical beam scale.
2. Buy a check weight or make one and periodically check when loading. It doesn't need to be any precise weight (a small stainless washer bent in half at 90*), just something you know the weight of that's close to your charge weight, especially when using a digital scale.

Even cheaper mechanical beam scales are surprisingly accurate, repeatable and reliable. I use a web cam hooked up to a laptop to read the scale on mine. I also brought the pointer to a sharper point and colored it. Way easier on my old eyes.

I also recently bought a Ohaus SPX123 used on Ebay for $130. If it was ever used it wasn't much. I plan to use it mostly for loading my 6x47 ammo for long range. You can find deals there if you keep your eyes peeled.
(06-02-2023, 11:01 PM)popgun Wrote: 1. I always cut a box to put my scale under to keep the draft off. Electronic or mechanical beam scale.
2. Buy a check weight or make one and periodically check when loading. It doesn't need to be any precise weight (a small stainless washer bent in half at 90*), just something you know the weight of that's close to your charge weight, especially when using a digital scale.

Even cheaper mechanical beam scales are surprisingly accurate, repeatable and reliable. I use a web cam hooked up to a laptop to read the scale on mine. I also brought the pointer to a sharper point and colored it. Way easier on my old eyes.

I also recently bought a Ohaus SPX123 used on Ebay for $130. If it was ever used it wasn't much. I plan to use it mostly for loading my 6x47 ammo for long range. You can find deals there if you keep your eyes peeled.
You got me to thinking , I fish and have Tungsten fishing weights from 1/32oz up to 2oz so weigh them record weight and box them for later.
(06-03-2023, 12:55 PM)Bassfish1952 Wrote:
(06-02-2023, 11:01 PM)popgun Wrote: 1. I always cut a box to put my scale under to keep the draft off. Electronic or mechanical beam scale.

You got me to thinking , I fish and have Tungsten fishing weights from 1/32oz up to 2oz so weigh them record weight and box them for later.
I got a RCBS Rangemaster 2000 and a Lyman Brass Smith 500  scale in today. Compared them to each other and to my old scale. The new ones were right on and repeatable . My old scale was NOT on or repeatable . It's gone and these 2 are set up and ready to go I also ordered 100 90gr ELD-X bullets for training no use using up my good hunting bullets until I am confident in what I am doing. Also I have a GOPRO camera so after using my phone's camera for awhile I hooked it up to view the balance beam. That was a great idea popgun, sure helps my eyesight . I'll let you guys know how things turn out

I"m going to go ahead and form all the 6.5 Grendel Brass I have and wait for the other bullets before I proceed . Then I think I will just start over from square 1 
Ahh, the beauty of it all! We got another reloader hooked.
Smile
I have an RCBS Rangemaster 2000. I spot check it against my RCBS 505 at random. It's been very accurate and consistent.
I am your uncle!