H414?
Has anyone tried H414 in the 6 ARC?  I saw that Hodgdon has it listed on their reloading site and was curious.
Interesting question. I see it in the Hodgie's magazine, just seems too slow for my taste. Their (W)760 is the same as H414.
Going to be temp sensitive, you know.
H414 has been my go-to powder for my 150gr FMJ 30-06 M1 Garand & 1903A3 fodder. Probably not a consideration for 6 ARC.
The trick is growing up without growing old. -- Casey Stengal
Gents,
FWiW, I just tried H414 for 6 ARC and it seems to be a NOGO.  Like mentioned earlier, it's very SLOW.  I ran an OCW from 25.7 -27.5 and unfortuantely didn't develop any velocities worth a hoot.  Max charge, 27.5g,  produced the fastest velocity however it was only 2401 fps out of a 24" Proof Sendero bbl w/ a 112gn Barnes MB....bummer because it was decent accurate enough across the spread of charges.  Granted, I could get a little more vel out of a 105 or 103gn bullet but not enough to make a big enough difference.  I could probably go up to around 30 grains but I may be over-working the brass.  Ultimately, I'm trying to reach a stable 2750ish to call it good.
I get 2720's + with the 103's and lever, from 22" uintah (bolt) gun.
I took it once up to 2759 but seemed a bit too warm. 2720 works very well, <0.5" when I do my part.
I have been using LvrEvo for the 6ARC with great results, but happened to come across several lbs of H414. I think it's just too slow for case capacity.
Once in a while there is a good powder comes along that's not one of the favorite few...
So it's not a bad idea to do some testing.
I tried some 4451 in my 6.5/20" creed... not happy, but then again I have several lb of 4350 so, well a nice try and chalk it up to experience....
Yah I know it's discontinued but I have some and thought to try it... bottom line is I'll l eave it in my new 243.
I keep coming back to Lever for the 6Arc pretty much every time. Plus it doesn't cost as much as some other jars. And is in stock. An afternoon at the range, what's not to like...
I have not tried H414 in the 6ARC as I find find it a VERY dirty powder in other calibers I have shot with it. If that is all you have when SHTF then OK but until that happens I use varget.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker
414 is a pretty slow burning powder, it will probably be fine for heavier bullets in a bolt gun, but it might not produce enough pressure to cycle a gas gun.
gorillamotors, are you shooting a bolt or a gasser? I could not get any half decent results with Varget and my setup. Surprised the hell out of me as well.
I am your uncle!
(07-02-2023, 04:34 AM)UncleBob Wrote: 414 is a pretty slow burning powder, it will probably be fine for heavier bullets in a bolt gun, but it might not produce enough pressure to cycle a gas gun.
gorillamotors, are you shooting a bolt or a gasser? I could not get any half decent results with Varget and my setup. Surprised the hell out of me as well.
I am shooting both. For the bolt I like Varget but for the gas gun I like Leverevolution.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker