Leverevolution?
I did a bit of ammo wasting getting my LPVO on paper. It was in the 30f range and very calm and overcast. No ladder testing, I'm not going to do that until I have target camera worked out and even then I might condense based on quickload projections. Also uncertain how the temps affect the performance.

Garmin Xero C1 chrono had the Hornady max loads 31.6 and 87 Vmax clocked at 3038fps avg from my 22" Proof.

I plan to run Quickload and see if I can identify a node that is a bit lower than max
I’ll suggest a lower node after dinner. Once above about 2950 the nodes start to spread out as to MV…
ok, dinner's over.
for a 22" barrel and 2.140-ish COAL, nodes at 3090 ft/s, and 2940 is next lower one. There is usually a "spread" of +/- 20-25 ft/s on either side, in which your given barrel could fall.
I used 2.140 as OAL for the 87 gr Hornady.
Other MV's may give a tight pattern on paper, but these are the longitudinal MV nodes for that barrel length.
Grey Fox is on the money. I’m a believer in the “ice cream” load. I think Dan Newberry coined the phrase. Maybe. The tiniest hole isn’t always the best load.
(01-08-2024, 11:14 PM)grayfox Wrote: ok, dinner's over.
for a 22" barrel and 2.140-ish COAL, nodes at 3090 ft/s, and 2940 is next lower one. There is usually a "spread" of +/- 20-25 ft/s on either side, in which your given barrel could fall.
I used 2.140 as OAL for the 87 gr Hornady.
Other MV's may give a tight pattern on paper, but these are the longitudinal MV nodes for that barrel length.
What would you say is the next lower node w the 22" tube, 2790ish?  If I recall correctly  that is roughly where my node fell for the 108 grain Berger Elite hunter.
2825, at a COAL of 2.260. Actually OAL has only a small effect on node location. I use a window for this node of 2797-2850 at 22" (I use a comparator-range of +/- 1% of "perfect" barrel time. So 2790 for your barrel... probably "that guy" or really close.
I developed a model (approximate mechanical model with some experimental constants) off of Chris Long's work, Optimal barrel time (Long family.com or something like that, it's close to midnite right now). I flipped it sideways so a regular guy could use it in load workups, not just theoretical engineer-types - lol. I have it in excel.

Of note on this, I have had 2 or so loads for a different 22" barrel-different cartridge, both were like 2815 and 2830, both were dang on-the-money less than 0.5"/100 yd group-type loads. First one of those, when I switched powder lots, went from 2815-2810-2817 give or take.
If you're ready for one of the secrets I found within his work, the cartridge/bullet/powder doesn't matter as much as the barrel length (and oal to some extent).
Blew my mind when I realized this.
Looks like around 30.6 gr will be reasonably close to the 2940 figure and 29.8 I'd guess for the 2800-2850 Then I'll need to put it head to head against N135 which runs similar speeds with over 4gr lighter load.

Can't wait for my Quick load to land. That and an external CD/DVD drive so I can load it Rolleyes

One problem with all of this is daytime temps dropping from 20's to 0 and overnight lows from teens above to mid singles below zero. I still may be able to shoot if I can find the time to get to the cabin and build a fire then leave the Ranger run as my warming shack on the firing line.
Cool (lol!).
Yeah these estimates don't have a temp correction factor, I would anticipate that for Lvr, when you get below about 30*F, you could see a noticeable drop in MV... how much, I don't know.
The studies I've seen with Lvr show fairly constant 30-80*F or 85 but beyond those, it's a ymmv.
Down Deisel goes…the rabbit hole awaits. Haha
The ole GrayFox is good. Listen to him!

General process of where to start for me:

Adjust In QuickLoad
(1) Fired case from your gun h2o volume.
(2) Ba of powder to match velocity you’re getting from powder lot.
(3) Barrel length and twist.
(4) COAL

Run quickload based on parameters you choose ie predicted pressure, desired velocitty, case fill etc. Compare QL output to your favorite loading books for comparison. (My experience says, in my guns, the loading manuals underestimate the amount of powder needed to reach the published velocities. Even at same barrel length.)

Compare barrel time to Long’s chart mentioned above. See which nodes you can reach within pressure limits.

Create your ladder around the highest node you can safely reach.

This process has never failed me. I will second the Fox…I believe you can get every cartridge appropriate powder/bullet to shoot (up to a point) if you know how to find those velocity flat spots.
Well if I did it right I get 34.7gr I did 2 different pieces for good measure. A bit convex on the fill, but not too bad.
Add a drop or two of alcohol.
I got out this past Saturday in freezing temps (17f with 4f real feel) and ran some ladders.  Found a nice node with the 90 ELDX and LVR at 3 different powder charges delivering the same 2890-ish velocity range.  With the cold temps i saw the first shot repeatedly low in my 3 shot groups with LVR.

I'm going to load some at the middle of these 3 and see what I can shoot.  When spring and better weather comes around I'll revisit

Each is a full ladder 10 steps 3 per step so 30rds using Sig Tango MSR 1-6 first focal plane so I can't hold quite as tight a point of aim as I prefer.  The 103's need to be sped up considerably, but grouped decent. 

Ran a new ladder (velocity only) with LVR and the 103 ELDX. Just like the 90's I found a nice wide node. Looks like it's LVR for me and the 6ARC.

The 90s are flying at 2860 range sd 4.5 WITHOUT annealing

The 103's are flying at 2600 fps down lower in the ladder SD 5.6

Up near the top at 2700 the 103's did well again, but seemingly narrow node.