How much do you need ?

When mounting a scope how much do you need , I have the next size up mounts coming but do I need to use them ?

I have about 1/32 on the scope to barrel and a 1/8 on bolt to scope. This rifle has the different bolt that has been modified for clearance 

Thanks
Scope to barrel is too close IMO. Scope to bolt... well there is most likely some slop in the bolt/receiver, so even there one could hit the other and scratch the scope. But the barrel end, that could affect barrel harmonics just like anything that touches the barrel during the shot.
I'd say, raise up the scope with some taller mounts. don't have a scientific number but at least 1/4" extra, I'd say.
(10-17-2022, 07:28 PM)grayfox Wrote: Scope to barrel is too close IMO.  Scope to bolt... well there is most likely some slop in the bolt/receiver, so even there one could hit the other and scratch the scope.  But the barrel end, that could affect barrel harmonics just like anything that touches the barrel during the shot.
I'd say, raise up the scope with some taller mounts.  don't have a scientific number but at least 1/4" extra, I'd say.
Thanks
I have the next higher Warne mounts coming but thought I would see how these were.

OK how about these they are Warne Maxima High rings  for my rifle. I don't see anything higher than these on their site and I like the Warne Brand so .
In the end it is your choice, Id be content either way, Though Id have a fair preference with the lower option. If you can fit 3 thicknesses of paper between the barrel and the scope bell housing, Id feel good.
(10-17-2022, 10:20 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: In the end it is your choice, Id be content either way, Though Id have a fair preference with the lower option. If you can fit 3 thicknesses of paper between the barrel and the scope bell housing, Id feel good.
Thanks 
I'll try both and see how they do.

These old eyes do like the 3-9x50 a lot better than that 1.5-5. , was trying it just at dusk this one shows a lot better.
I like the higher setup personally. You can always pad up the top of buttstock or use a riser to get a new cheek weld if it's too high for your eyes to get center-eyepiece. That's what I do.
I'd rather have some wiggle room, it's just kind of SOP for me and my rifles.
Not out to win beauty contests, the critters in the forest don't mind either way lol! Smile
Thanks Guys

I'm used to just buying and shooting , everything I have been doing this time is strange to me.

The opinions I have gotten from here have helped a lot

Thanks Again
You have enough scope to barrel clearance, but the real question is how is your eye relief to scope, do you feel comfortable and not searching for a sight picture resting your cheek on the stock. This is what will dictate how high a scope mount you need. As long as your scope is not actually resting on the barrel, and it looks like in your picture you have more than enough room. Barrel harmonics at the chamber end of the barrel are nearly zero. Your picture looks like you have more than 1/32 scope clearance at the scope bell.
If you can not see the tyranny of having a gun ban enforced by men with guns... Then you fail to understand why the second amendment was written in the first place.
Thanks all . I went with the taller one for now . Going to try it hunting this year then see how I like it.