6mm ARC & Monolithic's
(04-02-2022, 06:33 PM)CZ527 Guy Wrote: No experience here on game. I opted to go more traditional last fall. The expense of the Monolithics deter there use for me simply due to the fact I am not comfortable with the cost at the practice range. I do like to shoot more than average for sure & the monolithic just don't pencil out at the target range.

On game I do prefer to hunt with a bullet I have extensive experience with. I do anticipate a factory Monolithic out to market by this fall in the 6mm ARC based on a recent Hornady podcast. In the bolt action & longer ranges I am leaning towards the 90 gr CX that is just hitting the market now.
I am very new at this but am interested in the 90 gr CX if it works out for you please spread the word, That might be where I start reloading.
Picked up some 90gr Nosler E-tip factory 2nds for 40 cents a piece, that Ill be working up loads for practice on paper & we will be evaluating Expansion characteristics when shot into e series of 6 1 gallon water jugs. Expect 250 yards may be as far as Ill be willing to stretch the legs with the Nosler E-tip as Ill be falling into a velocity range of 2400 FPS or so near the 250 yard mark.

Will know more after doing the load work up & expansion test. Thus far I am just spit balling it & after 250 yards Expansion may be a bit less than desired to insure a clean kill. Good news is most of my deer over the years have been well inside of 250 yards.
These guys experiment supports my thoughts that the 90 gr E-tip likely skims by as a viable hunting option in upper end loads in 22" plus length bolt action rifles. (No more than 250 yards IMHO) Not so much of a good option in the 18" Gas gun IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijRPWMp5Kp8